Should I clip my budgie’s wings?
This is one of the most controversial questions.
Because each side of the argument brings good reasons on why you should or shouldn’t clip your budgie’s wings.
Today we’re going to try and answer this question with open mind.
We’ll look and discuss all the advantages and disadvantages each side of the argument brings.
keeping your bird’s wings should be the default thing to do
Which means, if you want to clip your birds wings, you should have a definite reason for that.
You should never clip your bird’s wings just for fun, or to see how long would it take them to grow back.
With the being said, let’s see each side of the argument.
What are the advantages of your budgie having his wings (not clipped)?
- This is the first defensive mechanism for birds, this is how they survive and feel safe.
For example, imagine trimming the lion claws and teeth, how is he gonna be able to fight or survive any fight.Since our budgies are pet birds, then surviving shouldn’t be a problem.
- Keeping your bird beautiful, with long wing feathers, your bird way more beautiful than clipped wings.
- Stay in shape, flying burns a lot of calories, if you clip your budgies wings, then he would be eating without burning any calories.
Obesity is a serious matter for birds too!
What are the advantages of your budgie not having his wings (clipped)?
Sometimes parakeet or bird’s owners decide to clip their birds wings, and that could be for couple of reasons.
- New Bird, if you clip your bird’s wings, it would be much easier to tame your bird.
And since the wings feathers will grow back after couple of months, there isn’t high risk.
When your bird regain his ability to fly, you could have already established a good relationship with him, and you don’t need to clip his wings anymore.
- The safety of your bird, while it is, flying the primary defensive mechanism, but ironically it could be their primary getting hurt mechanism.
And that’s because when they are flying inside your home, they could crash into windows and other stuff that could really hurt your bird.
So some owners, prefer to clip their bird’s wings, so they wouldn’t crash into dangerous parts or palaces of your home
- Keep track of your bird, without the ability of flying, it’s way easier to keep track of your bird, and potentially you can help your bird by getting to him before he goes into disastrous places.
Just remember: you clip your bird’s wings, then he’s your responsibility, and you become his primary protector.
So unless it is a safety issue, I don’t believe you should clip your birds wings.
For me I budgie proof my home and keep them flying around with no problems.
And one last important note, if you have decided to clip your birds wings but never clipped them before.
I recommend you doing it at a professional, so you don’t clip a blood feather, and end up in a tragedy.