how to bird proof your home, so it is safe for budgies
Specially if you are letting them out of the cage.
To keep your birds perfectly safe and healthy indoors, and for you to enjoy a lot of out of cage hours with your bird.
You need to make some modifications and maybe use different products to insure the safety of your birds.
Make sure all your house entries are closed, that includes doors, windows and anything that might give your bird a path to the outside of your home.
Many injuries occur due to your birds crashing into windows, if you have clear glass, it can easily be unnoticed and lead your bird to crash into it.
If you forget to turn the fan off, it could end up in a tragedy, a lot of birds got hurt by fans or even killed.
Any heating device in your home should either be turned off or covered.
Like candles, radiators and chimney fire.
And of course any hot surfaced like iron or glass from your chimney.
Get rid of any exposed wire you have to prevent your bird from getting electrocuted.
Also don’t forget that all parrots like to chew on things, and if you are not paying attention your bird my chew into an electric wire even though it was perfectly safe.
Usually the first time you let your bird fly out of the cage, they are exploring a new territory.
If you have mirrors they can easily be mistaken by your parakeet for an opening in the wall, and crash.
So until your bird get used to your house, I highly recommend you to cover the mirrors.
Bathrooms are very dangerous if you are not cautious, from leaving the toilet seat open, to any drugs your bird may explore.
Either close the bathroom door, or make sure there are no dangers.
This is basically bird’s hell.
They can easily hurt themselves with all the equipment in the kitchen, from knives to oven.
And if you were careful, still there are toxic fumes in the kitchen that are safe for us, but not for birds.
Teflon is the first that comes to mind when thinking of toxic fumes.
It is widely used cooking tool, that ejects toxic fumes to birds.
PTFE fumes are fatally toxic to our feathered friends.
Also self cleaning ovens have killed many birds, and eject very dangerous fumes to birds.
Almost all cleaning products are made of toxic chemicals, so make sure they are out of your bird’s reach.
Any indoor plants you may have in your house should be safe and non toxic to budgies, as you know these birds love to chew on everything.
We recently had a tragedy with our bird family, which has left us heart broken and afraid. We were in our RV coach with our bird (7 yr old green cheek and 1 yr old pineapple) and dog family. When cold weather hit, the furnace was being needed. We had a problem with the furnace blower fan trying to cease up. My husband sprayed WD-40 into the motor to loosen it up. When the blower began to run, the WD-40, evident ally, turned into fumes in the air. The birds began to act drunk and confused. They were immediately removed w/in minutes but it was too late to save them.
After returning home, with broken hearts, we purchased two new baby conures and are trying to start over. The sadness is still very present.
Before being willing to return to the RV, I will insist on having a comprehensive monitor on board to test for any silent killer fumes, before our birds will be present in the RV. This has been a very sad lesson. I hope others can learn from this story. Killers can be very silent.